CUMBERLAND BOULEVARD IMPROVEMENTS
- Cumberland Boulevard, a loop road connecting the four quadrants of Cumberland, was completed in 2003. It creates connectivity throughout the community as a whole, increasing mobility throughout the district. It was constructed in four separate sections and took 10 years to complete.
- Cumberland Boulevard West, located between Akers Mill Road and
Spring Road, will be widened with an additional left turn lane, allowing for safer traffic flow and greater capacity.
- There will be 243 new lights added, all containing light emitting diodes (LEDs) as opposed to traditional incandescent bulbs – the first project of its kind from Georgia Power. The switch will result in greater energy efficiency and lower energy costs.
- The project also includes a new bridgescape and upgraded mast arms.
- Currently, approximately 50,000 vehicles travel along Cumberland
Boulevard per day, which is expected to increase as the Atlanta Braves complete their move into SunTrust Park in 2017.
- All projects are expected to be complete by the end of 2017.
- The additional turn lane on Cumberland Boulevard West will be added to the westbound side of the road, heading toward Interstate 285, creating two dedicated left-turn lanes onto Cumberland Parkway. This area will also receive streetscape and landscaping improvements, as well as mast arm upgrades.
- Of the 243 lights to be added along Cumberland Boulevard, 149 will be street lights and 94 will be pedestrian lights.(GDOT) and $212,000 from Cobb County.
- The bridgescape will be made out of aluminum and will feature decorative fences and three prominent arches on the south side of the bridge.
- There will be mast arms installed at several of the major intersections within the project corridor.