JOB OPENING: Manager of Communications and Outreach
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
DEPARTMENT: Cumberland CID
GENERAL SUMMARY: This is a communications and outreach position for the Cumberland Community Improvement District (CID), a self‐taxing commercial district in the Cumberland area of northwest Atlanta. The CID invests in transportation and community infrastructure in order to enhance commercial property values. The position works closely with the Executive Director and team to support the various goals and activities of the CID. It represents the CID to owners, owners’ reps, community stakeholders as well as other vested partners. It requires a strong ability to foster effective relationships and build coalitions. It requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work in a flexible, dynamic environment, and the ability to work with minimum supervision while handling a variety of projects. Marketing strategy and implementation is important and commercial real estate knowledge is a strong plus. The CID operates through the Cobb Chamber of Commerce, which provides administrative and staff support to the CID’s efforts. This position reports directly to the Executive Director of the Cumberland CID.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Communications & Materials
- Work with the executive director to develop strategic communications, public relations, and outreach plans that align with the mission of the CID.
- Develop and maintain tools to communicate CID activities to external partners (i.e. ‐ social media, website, e-communications, annual report, collaterals, press releases, advertising, etc.). Keep materials up‐to‐date, relevant, and effective.
- Shape and write effective and concise messages for various communication tools as well as for team members as needed. Be able to translate technical and planning efforts into interesting and informative messages for stakeholders.
- Assist Director of Operations in the development of grant applications and various types of award nominations – writing, gaining letters of support from stakeholders as needed.
- Create and maintain presentation materials for executive director and team. Present key messages when needed for stakeholders, community groups, and potential investors.
- Respond to all media requests. Prepare statements and interview requests as needed.
Corporate Outreach & Engagement
- Develop and manage a corporate outreach strategy that creates an informed membership and the opportunity to build private sector coalitions as needed for mission‐critical endeavors.
- Engage CID’s 190 property owners and/or their agents, managers, or representatives, to build a network of vested corporate stakeholders.
- Compile, analyze, and rank most important member constituents and engage effective communication tools and messages to ensure their support and engagement.
- Foster relationships and act as primary communicator with corporate partners in order to keep CID apprised of relevant and timely information.
- Keep corporate partners abreast of relevant CID projects in the planning/design stages in order to head off issues before problems arise; maintain communication through the project.
- Host regular events/forums, to present current and planned projects for interested members constituents and/or stakeholders.
- Connect property owners and other constituents with needed resources (i.e. – economic development, zoning, state and local contacts, real estate assistance, etc.). Provide all necessary follow up to ensure a high quality experience.
Community Development & Partnerships
- Develop strategic partnerships with government partners, community organizations, and other relevant agencies in order to promote common interests and goals.
- Identify opportunities to leverage partner resources to advance specific needs in the community that are relevant to CID interests. Examples include government grants, technical assistance, industry awards, and other specific opportunities that arise.
- Assist with CID’s effort to create conditions for more livable, walkable areas in Cumberland. Provide insight into property owner’s needs as directed.
- Update and maintain the CID’s website, e-marketing, and social media platforms with timely and relevant information.
- Keep abreast of relevant technology to help communicate information. Provide insight into value given available resources and content of message.
- Plan and execute special events that support CID activities (i.e. – groundbreakings, ribbon‐cuttings, etc.).
- Develop external partnerships as relevant to leverage relationships, budget, labor, etc.
- Create budgets and schedules for activities associated with events and engage team members as needed.
- Evaluate effectiveness post event in order to improve upon best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or other related field
- Minimum 5+ years of experience required
- Self‐starter – ability to work independently and deliver results on time and on budget
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strategic thinker
- Depth of knowledge in Digital Marketing
- Ability to bring exceptional contributions and value to a small team. Willingness to step in as necessary to support team members
- Ability to handle multiple projects and flexibility with changing environments and organizational priorities
- Ability to build coalitions and consensus around community initiatives
- Background in commercial real estate development and/or management is strongly considered
- Highly organized, efficient and able to prioritize
- Adept at external communication tools and software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, WordPress, and e-marketing software)